Wednesday, October 17, 2007

GITK – No Bake Cookies

I found this recipe in the second grade in the companion comic book to the children’s learning show "Mulligan Stew”. (I still remember one of the songs from the show, too: “Fad foods and quick diets/are bad for you so don’t try it/They’ll slow you down (slow you down)/and that is why (that is why)/they’re no good for you.)

This recipe soon became a family favorite. My dad loved them right off the bat and called them “Pods”. I started calling them Cow Patties, for obvious reasons. This was one of the first recipes that I learned to make all by myself. The ingredients were always in the house and I probably made them once a month for years. These days I usually spread the stuff in a pan because I don’t have the patience (or the space) to drop them on waxed paper. There are always more, however, if you go with the drop method.

I made these cookies/bars last night but I’m not taking them to work. I didn’t have all the right ingredients so I experimented. I didn’t have cocoa (and the nearest CVS didn’t have any either. Crazy!), so I ended up using a 1lb. bag of gourmet cocoa mix that one of Teach’s students gave him last year. Turns out, there was not enough sugar and too much cocoa so the sugar mixture didn’t crystallize/caramelize/whatever it was supposed to do the right way. I ate some for breakfast this morning and it wasn’t bad per se. But I’m not about to bring the results in for work.

That’s the other thing about this particular recipe – unless you actually are making the cookies, they really aren’t terribly appetizing looking. Kids, I think, would have a lot more fun with these than adults, and it’s an easy recipe for them to learn. But, like I said, I’m revisiting old standby and old favorite recipes and this one brings lots of happy memories.

No-Bake Cookies (From Mulligan Stew)

2 C. Sugar
¼ C. Cocoa
½ C. Milk
½ C. butter
1 t. vanilla
½ C. peanut butter (chunky or smooth0
3 C. quick cook oats

1. In a heavy saucepan, mix together sugar, cocoa, milk and butter.
2. Cook over medium heat until mixture starts to boil.
3. Remove pan from heat and cool for 1 (one) minute.
4. Add vanilla, peanut butter and oatmeal.
5. Stir completely until peanut butter is melted and oatmeal is coated
6. Drop by teaspoonful onto wax paper.
7. Cool completely
8. Store in an airtight container

19 Comments:

At 3:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wheeeee! A coworker brought in "Boiler Cookies" to share and no one was willing to try them because they looked...like cow patties. She claimed it as a family recipe made only for special occassions but I remembered it from Mulligan Stew (and remembered most of the ingredients.) While Google yielded plenty of recipes I really wanted the "orignal" and, thanks to you, here it is!

Thank you!

 
At 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

(Sorry, I was so excited I posted before I was truly done.)

My aunt uses the same base but uses graham cracker crumbs in place of the oats and presses the mixture into a greased/buttered 13x9 pan. When it sets, she cuts it into cubes as faux-fudge candy. Also quite tasty :)

 
At 12:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too remember these from the second grade, and a recent memory and craving sent me on the search. Thank you so much for posting this! Tomorrow I am running out for cocoa!

 
At 12:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been trying to find the original recipe for No-Bake Cookies
for some time now. I remembered
the Mulligan Stew comic book, but
couldn't remember the recipe. Thank you so much for posting this
recipe. I too used to make these
cookies all the time as a child.
Wow, that was about 30 years ago, this sure has brought back memories.
Thank You!

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Michael Gatton said...

I remember the song too, and that was like 35 yrs ago! I was googling it hoping to find a video...

 
At 10:34 PM, Anonymous Techknoman said...

"4 4 3 2 thats' the formula for me and you" ...

I remember that song from the show about the food groups and the number of servings from each group for you to have each day
4 bread
4 fruit & veggies
3 milk and dairy
2 meat
I think is what it was, that has changed as you are to get five to nine fruits and veggies per day these days RDA

 
At 6:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well i never watched the show, but my mother made the cookies for us. they were my favorite cookies.

 
At 9:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i asked a fellow coworker if she was in her forties yet and she giggled like i was silly (she's gonna be 47) i said oh good do you remember mulligan stew from school? she said yes and then i asked about the no bake cookies she said did you try the internet? dah never thought of that so here i am thanks for posting the recipe i can't wait to make these with my grandchildren!!

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you - I've been looking for this recipe since I can remember - I loved these cookies - I'm heading to the kitchen now - (Who would have guessed you could "google" it?)

 
At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made this recipe last night... I have used since since elementary school also. However, the recipe I wrote down all of those years ago had 1 cup chunky peanut butter (not 1/2 cup). The rest of the recipe is exactly the same. Just wanted to let you know in case you mis-wrote it. Enjoy!

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Nemeria said...

Thanks for that. I'll have to try it with 1c! One can NEVER have too much peanut butter.

 
At 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been revisiting childhood memories lately as well. I remember watching Mulligan's Stew in the fourth grade and for some reason I have been thinking about Mulligan's Stew and No Bake Cookies. I found the recipe for Mulligan's Stew. Last night I was thinking about the no bake cookies. I cannot make these for my girlfriend's boys because of allergy problems. I have my son this weekend so I will make these with him. This will be fun. Thank you for posting this. I am looking forward to having these again!

 
At 3:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i had this recipe since it was on the mulligan stew show just recently lost it due to a fire could not remember some of the measurements thank you for posting it its been a fovorite for many years

 
At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

have you tried this recipe with nutella instead of peanut butter its really good

 
At 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad people are still finding this recipe and still love it as much as I do! I forget that it lives on here because I haven't been able to log into this account for a couple of years now! I will definetly have to try it with Nutella. That sounds downright decadent!! - Nemeria

 
At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Small world. I have nothing but fond memories of making these after seeing the recipe in my Mulligan Stew booklet. I'm now going to make these for my 3 year old's birthday party.
Thank you very much for posting.
-Mike

 
At 5:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My all time favorite cookie..I remember 2nd grade we got two classes together and made these cookies right at school after watching our program of mulligan stew..took this recipe home to mom and she made them all the time for us,Im 50 now and oh how I still love them !!

 
At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet I've been trying to find this for many years. Thank you soooooo much for this post.

 
At 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too have been looking for this recipe. It was one of the recipes I made at home back then and I was beginning to think it was a false memory. No one I talked to remembers the show. I remember it from school and was so excited to make the no bake cookies. It was probably the first thing I ever attempted in the kitchen. Thanks for posting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home