Sunday, October 28, 2007

GITK - Cloud Nine Brownies

No picture. I can't find my camera. And I had Isabella and Jasper in the kitty strait jacket last night to clip their claws. Oh well, it must be here somewhere.

So today's recipe is one that I think originally came from a package of Ghiradelli White Chocolate chips. I got it from my really cool housemate in 1996. (Linds was really born in the entirely wrong time. She should have reached the age of majority in the 60s. A true hippy in her heart, gov't wonk to the outside world). She made the brownies one day and I thought they were fabulous so I asked her for the recipe. She gladly gave it to me. Of course, I didn't know any better and started making the darn things once a month or so. It took me a while to learn that one probably shouldn't make a recipe one got from a friend, FOR the friend. I think I'd be a bit upset if the situation were reversed, especially if the other person made the recipe better than I did!

Anyway, this is really just a shit-load of white and semi-sweet chocolate chip cookies held together by the absolute least amount of batter possible. It really shouldn't work but somehow it does. But, be warned, these suckers are incredibly, INCREDIBLY rich. And you need a double-boiler. I bought myself one for the sole purpose of making these brownies. I've never used it for anything else.

Cloud Nine Brownies

½ c. butter
2 c. white chocolate chips
2 eggs
½ c. sugar (really, only ½ a cup, I swear!)
1 t. Vanilla
1 c. flour
1 c. semi sweet chocolate chip cookies

1) preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease an 8" square pan
2) in top of double boiler over low heat, melt butter with 2/3 c. white chocolate chips, stirring constantly, until smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
3) beat eggs and sugar until very pale and thick.
4) blend in melted mixture and vanilla.
5) stir in flour just until combined.
6) stir in remaining white chocolate chips and the semi-sweet chips
7) spread into prepared pan
8) bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out almost clean
9) cool before cutting into small squares (really, REALLY rich)


I ended up making a double batch of this and baked it in a 9.5x13 inch glass pan. I forgot that I should have reduced the heat to 300 degrees because of the glass pan, so I did that late into the cooking time when I realized the edges were getting really crispy and the center was still really soft. I've cut out all the edge pieces so far and have them in a container for work. Now I just have to cut the center section. I have no idea how this all holds together. It's an ooey-gooey mess and I know people will think it's under cooked. But, good heavens! All that butter and next to no flour? Craziness!

Hmmm, here's the recipe on the Guittard website but I don't actually recall ever hearing of this company before. Have I missed something?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home